Mike Kueber's Blog

November 4, 2012

Dishonest arguments

Filed under: Issues,Politics — Mike Kueber @ 1:03 pm
Tags:

Dr. Harriet Romo, whose husband is the president of UTSA, recently endorsed Pre-K 4 SA as follows:

  • I hope the people of San Antonio will turn out and vote Tuesday, and when they do, agree that we do not have time or children to waste.  The Pre-K 4 SA initiative is well planned and will cost very little per family to invest in our children. Participation in a quality preschool program may change the trajectory of a deserving child’s life, and having excellent early childhood demonstration centers will provide models for others and raise the quality of programs throughout the city

I don’t object to Romo’s argument except for her statement that this Pre-K 4 SA will cost very little per family.  This is obviously intended to reinforce Mayor Castro’s talking point that the initiative will cost $7.81 per family, which overlooks the fact that $7.81 per family will raise less than 10% of the $32 million a year that the program will cost.  The other 90% will be taken from businesses and out-of-town visitors. 

How cynical to encourage the voters to act on the basis of grossly misleading information!  But of course it is consistent with the liberal proclivity to buy something and have someone else pay for it.

Advertisements

1 Comment »

  1. Thank you.

    Three more things:

    1. This is another program where the answer about the details is (to paraphrase) vote for it and then we’ll figure it out,

    2. Even the Federal Government says it’s own Pre-K programs have no demonstrated lasting effect past third grade. They can’t wish for something different from something that has been tried over and over and simply doesn’t work.

    3. They don’t know who or where these un(der)derved four-year-olds are. They are simply numbers on the federal ten-year census.

    Comment by Bob Bevard — November 4, 2012 @ 1:36 pm | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: